Saturday, December 03, 2005

Redknapp walks out on Saints


Harry Redknapp has informed Southampton he regards "his employment with the club as being at an end", according to club chairman Rupert Lowe.

Lowe's announcement comes after he had turned down a request from Portsmouth to approach Redknapp about the vacant manager's job at Fratton Park.

Dave Bassett has been placed in temporary charge of the team for Saturday's match against Burnley.

Lowe added he intends to report the matter to the Premier League.

He said: "As far as I am concerned even if there has not been a breach of rules there has been a breach of courtesy and basic good manners."

Lowe went on to say: "On Wednesday, November 30 I was contacted by Dennis Roach (a football agent) who told me that I was likely to receive a request from Portsmouth to allow them to speak to Harry about their managerial vacancy.

"It's not often that I am lost for words but I was then. Not only because this is the most extraordinary story in an extraordinary industry but because I believed Harry to be here for the long term.

"On Thursday I spoke to Harry, who told me that he had been considering his future and that he believed Portsmouth to be his 'spiritual home'.''

The Saints chairman informed Portsmouth director Peter Storrie he would not grant permission to approach Redknapp unless Southampton were paid "the unexpired portion of Harry's contract which is the usual convention in these circumstances''.

Lowe added: "I was promised an answer which to date has never come.

"I spoke to Harry again late on Friday night to agree arrangements for today's important game against Burnley.

"Harry said that it was now impossible for him to come back to the club and that, in his words, he had been let down.

"He told me that he regarded his employment with the club as being at an end and that we would deal with the necessary paperwork at the beginning of next week.''

Lowe, who will attend Saturday's post-match press conference, continued: "I find it extraordinary that officials of Portsmouth Football Club should have made some of the public statements that they did yesterday about a Southampton employee, particularly as I have had no formal conclusion to our discussions.''

Club director Andrew Cowen said: "Gobsmacked is too small a word. You don't even get a plot like this in Star Wars."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home